In April, we sent our love to mothers all over the country by creating a list of the best mom-friendly car features available. This month, with Father’s Day just around the bend, we wanted to celebrate dads in much the same way – with the five best 2018 cars, trucks, and SUVs to buy for your favorite papas, padres, and fathers.
2018 Chevy Camaro
Since its inception, the Camaro’s irresistible engine has purred and growled its way into driveways and garages across the country. Now, with the 2018 Camaro, there’s a lot more horsepower for Dad to love. Plopped into the Camaro ZL1 is a soon-to-be-legendary 6.2L V8 that makes 650 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, allowing this performance car to hit 60 mph in under 3.5 seconds. Floor it, Pops!
Best Features for Dads: The 2018 Chevrolet Camaro is no slouch. Its numerous Dad-friendly features include:
- Driver Mode Selector – Choose from Track, Sport, Tour, and Snow/Ice modes to instantly alter the car’s driving dynamics.
- Performance Data Recorder – If Dad likes to take devilish turns around the track, PDR will be his new BFF. It records video, analyzes driving stats, and delivers full analytics to help your dad improve his technique.
- Head-Up Display – All eyes on the road! The Camaro’s Head-Up Display ensures all essential details are never out of eyes’ reach.
- RECARO® Seats – The refinement of the Camaro cockpit is felt in the available RECARO seats, which are textured to prevent slipping and sliding.
Recommended Trim: If splurging on the Camaro ZL1 isn’t part of your Father’s Day plan, consider taking a small step down and into the 2SS. The 2SS Camaro model features leather seats, the Head-Up Display, and special interior spectrum lighting.
2018 Hyundai Santa Fe
Dads need room, too! That’s where the new Santa Fe steps in. With seating for seven, 160 cubic feet of cabin space, and more third-row legroom than nearly every other large SUV, the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe makes for an excellent Father’s Day buy.
Best Features for Dads: Whether your dad enjoys road trips or weekend DIY house projects, he’ll find the following Santa Fe features to be incredibly practical:
- Hands-Free Smart Liftgate (w/ Auto Open) – When Dad’s hands are full, he can simply shuffle over to the rear liftgate, and let the Santa Fe do all the work.
- Multi-View Camera – Even the stuffiest of garages is no match for the Santa Fe and its multi-angle rearview camera. No more bent bike tires or busted baseball bats!
- Dynamic Bending Light – Deer crossings are also no match for the Santa Fe thanks to its innovative new headlights that illuminate fully around curves.
- Third-Row USB Ports – Not so much features for Dad, the rear USB charging ports are incredibly effective ways to eliminate the “when will we get there” questions.
Recommended Trim: The hands-free tailgate is standard on the Santa Fe SE Ultimate, which makes it our suggested trim.
Where to Buy: View our current selection of new Santa Fe SUVs for sale.
2018 GMC Sierra 1500
Sometimes Dad just needs the ruggedness of a pickup to get some work done. Having access to the incredible Sierra 1500, he’ll have more than enough ruggedness to renovate the entire house twice over. Featuring the most powerful V8 in its class (420 horsepower), a roll-formed steel bed, and a specialty off-road suspension, the 2018 Sierra is certainly changing the way we think about “light-duty” trucks.
Best Features for Dads: Dad’s in for a surprise when he tries out his new GMC Sierra, which comes with the following:
- IntelliBeam Headlights – High beams are automatically turned on and off based on detected traffic conditions.
- CornerStep Bumper – Dad can access the truck bed easier with this subtle rear step-up.
- Rear Vision Camera System – Attaching trailers and boats is a breeze thanks to GMC’s trailering camera system. Just align, secure, and go!
- Wireless Charging Pad – Positioned conveniently atop the center storage compartment, the Qi phone charger makes Dad’s life simpler.
Recommended Trim: Available in crew, double, and regular cabs, the right Sierra 1500 for each dad is best chosen after a test drive. (Trust us.)
Where to Buy: To get that test drive going in Kansas City, browse our selection of GMC Sierra trucks. When you’re ready to choose Dad’s Father’s Day gift, visit your nearest McCarthy Auto Group dealer.
2018 Toyota Camry
Known as one of the best cars on the road, the 2018 Camry is as safe as Dad’s investment in gold bars. An IIHS TSP+ award and NHTSA 5-star rating were only possible because of the Camry’s standard Toyota Safety Sense P, which includes collision warnings with pedestrian detection, lane departure alerts, steering assist, auto high beams, and dynamic cruise control. For dads who know the ins and outs of making insurance claims, the Camry is for them.
Best Features for Dads: Aggressively styled yet elegant on the inside, the new Toyota Camry brings a lot to the table, including the following features:
- Panoramic Moonroof – Push a button to tilt or slide open the Camry moonroof within seconds. A power-retractable sunshade even keeps those UVs from heating up the cabin.
- Three Drive Modes – Pop the Camry in ECO for maximum fuel efficiency. Slip it into Sport for a kick of spirit. Balance the two with Normal Mode.
- Bird’s Eye View Camera with Perimeter Scan – Dad can monitor the front, sides, and rear of his Camry without contorting his body like some Cirque du Soleil performer. There’s even a sonar system built into the Camry to alert Dad when he’s on the verge of hitting the mailbox.
Recommended Trim: All Camry trims are excellent, though the XSE and XLE models are certainly a step above the others.
Where to Buy: Shop the 2018 Camry in Kansas City by viewing our selection of new Toyota cars for sale and lease.
2018 Nissan Rogue
Why is the Nissan Rogue the best-selling SUV in America? It returns 33 mpg on the highway, seats five comfortably, has tons of driver-assist features, and is always ready to boldly go wherever Dad wishes to take it.
Best Features for Dads:
- Door to Door Navigation – If Dad is frequently running late, the Rogue’s built-in navigation will guide him. Nissan’s Door to Door 3D Navigation system provides real-time traffic info, turn-by-turn directions, and nifty graphics.
- Divide-N-Hide® Cargo – Keeps all must-hide items not only camouflaged but also organized. Fancy.
- ProPILOT™ Assist – The pride and joy of Nissan may be its innovative ProPILOT system, which allows drivers to rest easy behind the wheel. ProPILOT monitors the road, keeps the Rogue centered within its lane, and follows vehicles at a preset distance. It’ll even apply brakes when it detects traffic has stopped. Take that, driverless cars!
Recommended Trim: The 2018 Rogue is available in three trims (and a Midnight Edition), with the SL being the range-topping model. Pick it—your dad won’t regret it.
Where to Buy: Find the perfect new Nissan Rogue for Father’s Day by searching our online inventory.
Of course, there are dozens of vehicles out there to choose as your Father’s Day gift this year. From hatchbacks and compact hybrids to large pickups and even minivans, our inventory is stacked with Dad’s next favorite ride. Contact or visit your nearest McCarthy Auto Group dealership near Kansas City to ask our salespeople about current sales and special car offers.
Sources & Photos: